Foot Files: Cracked heels
At Perfect Feet we see a lot of dry and cracked heels. This is not only a cosmetic problem but can be painful to walk upon if the cracks become too deep.
Why do your heels crack?
A few common reasons why this may happen include:
- Open back footwear leaving skin exposed to the elements.
- Diabetes or being overweight.
- Hard skin builds up on the heel causing to dry and crack.
- Certain skin condition like Eczema or Psoriasis.
Advice and treatment
- After bathing use a pumice stone to gently file heels.
- Use of a heel balm with 25% Urea in twice daily to rehydrate the skin.
- Podiatrist use sterile surgical blades to safely remove any excess hard skin to the heels so moisturizers are more effective.
- We will provide self-care tips.
Kieran Beenick Bsc (Hons) Podiatry.
Member of the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
2 Bakery court, Market Street,
Ashby de La Zouch,
Tel: 01530 414576